Thursday, October 2, 2014

The great debate of Slim Shady: My name is WHAT?

Breaking news!!!

It has been brought to my attention that I may want to consider adopting a modern Hebrew name for the time I am in Israel.

The Hebrew name for Rebecca is Rivka. Most English names do not directly translate into Hebrew, but since Rebecca is a biblical name, it does. My Hebrew tutor says the name Rebecca is a very outdated name and usually only people in religious communities have it. I hit the jackpot with Rebecca Rachel (my middle name)! It would seem that the name Rivka in Israel is like the name Henrietta or Eleanor (sorry if I am offending anyone who has these names!) are in the US, in that no one really gives their kid these names anymore.

Come to think of it, I have met neither an Eleanor nor a Henrietta. The only Eleanor I can think of throughout history is Eleanor Roosevelt - and also Eleanor Waldorf (Gossip Girl reference anyone?) but fictional characters don't really count.

It is a bit ironic that I write this post... Both of my grandmothers were born with the name Rebecca and they BOTH changed their names. One became Bette and the other became Ruby.

Knowing this, I have had a long-existing promise with myself that I will not follow in their name traitor footsteps! I did not give myself this name and so it is not mine to take away. My name is my name and that is that. And so I have decided to go against the grain and start a new tradition in my family: My name is Rebecca and I am not changing it.

This doesn't necessarily mean I will go by Rivka. I haven't decided whether I will introduce myself as Rivka or Rebecca. Israel is a modern country where (so far) all of the people I have met have spoken at least a little English. It is no secret that I am a foreigner, so why should I care if I have a foreign-sounding name? It is my name!

The verdict is out: name change = not happening.

What would you do if you were me? Am I making the wrong choice? Let me know your thoughts in the comments! (This is an opportunity to prove you are persuasive.)

No comments:

Post a Comment