Sunday, April 19, 2015

My First Passover In Israel

Much has transpired in the last few weeks. This may well have been one of the most eventful weeks of my life.

On March 30 I packed by bags, got on a bus bound for Jerusalem and there I received Israeli citizenship. While in Jerusalem I also met my new landlord to sign my new lease agreement because, by the way everyone, I moved to Haifa!

My plan for now is to attend a five-month ulpan that begins the first week of May. (Ulpan Hebrew’s equivalent of English’s “E.S.O.L.” The word “ulpan” translates literally to “studio.”) Tomorrow I have my ulpan entrance exam to determine into which level I will be sorted.

I was slightly disappointed that I wasn’t spending Passover at home this year but it was okay because I got to experience my first Israeli Passover. I took the train from Haifa to Modiin and spent the holiday with cousins. 

Modiin is one-third of a “suburban” municipality just outside of Jerusalem. The scenery is breathtaking. 

Went for a stroll in the beautiful hills of Modiin with my cousin Avia and her buddy Noel.
Even discovered some ancient ruins!
We had just one seder, as is the norm in Israel. Outside of Israel there are two seders due to the time difference. (Side note: I feel like it should be the same for Christmas. Elijah doesn't have even half as many homes to visit as Santa and yet he has twice as much time. Just a thought!)


In place of the traditional matzah my cousins have a family custom of using these horseshoe-like homemade bread pieces.

The seder was almost exactly the same as what I am accustomed to back in the U.S., with the exception of course that it was conducted in Hebrew. Even though it seems at times like I am worlds apart here in Israel from good old Rockville, it’s nice to have such a sense of familiarity in the traditions and customs here.

I got to practice my Hebrew a lot during my stay in Modiin since my nine-and-a-half-year-old cousin Avia doesn’t know any English yet - or maybe she is just too shy to use it! I told her that one day the extent of her English-speaking abilities will probably surpass those of mine in Hebrew. It’s a little sad because deep down I know it’s true!

Hopefully this ulpan will work on me!

After arriving home to Haifa from seder I packed my bags to get ready for a spontaneous trip to France!!!


To be continued…

1 comment:

  1. Just reading now! Glad you had a nice Israeli passover, congrats on CITIZENSHIP and mazel on your move to HAIFA. xoxo Sarah Koteen

    ReplyDelete