Friday, November 28, 2014

Thank You to the Good People :)

I have a stress fracture in my right foot. The doctor found it on an X-ray last week. Since my foot will not heal for a month I've had to literally take a step back.

I didn't want to post a blog without a photo... so here is one of the subject matter!
In the couple weeks where I've been less than mobile I've really felt the warmth of other people. It is now time to acknowledge everyone for reminding me that people are good.

Thank you to:

MaĆ®lyss, my French friend, who taught me to play the French card game Tarot, something I can do while sitting. If you hadn't invited me to play cards those few nights I would have been stuck in my apartment unsuccessfully trying to find a bootlegged version of Mockingjay online.

Ruslan, my French-Ukrainian friend who the other day carried not only my groceries from the grocery store to our apartment, but also his own. You saved me from making a whole other trip to the store by the amount of items you carried for me.

Dana, my Israeli vegan work friend who came to visit me where I live after hearing the news that I was injured. You made me feel really special, venturing all the way out to Beit Isrotel just to see little old me!

Raluca, my Romanian friend, who asked if she could run any errands for me. Thank you also for walking in the back with me and for the halva on my birthday :)

Scott, my American friend, who helped me up the hill in the park when we had a group activity. Without you there would have been no hope for me to get up that Everest-like mound!

My parents for putting up with my 73,324,723,023,443 phone calls. I bet you only really do it because you have to :]

Li, my birthright tourguide who I saw the other day, for offering special healing to my foot. Your positive energy lifted up my day!

My roommates, for checking in periodically to see how I am doing. Thanks guys!

To random people in passing for asking me why I am limping, recognizing that I am not okay. You, in particular, remind me that people are inherently good and we all have the power to make another person's day. 

To Rami, my program leader, for arranging a new job for me so that I can continue in the program. Thank you, a lot! I know it would have been easier to take "no" for an answer from the higher ups but you found away to make it work for me.

To Carmen, my ulpan teacher, for teaching me the Hebrew words for "broken" and "clinic." Even when I am stuttering over words that I didn't know existed a few days ago you are determined to cement them into my brain.

To everyone else on my program whose name wasn't specifically mentioned, for continuing to check in with me and make sure I am still alive. Robyn, Kitty, Dakota, Kostia, Maksym, Perla and Dima.

When you are in another country it's hard to feel like you have anyone that cares about you, especially when you do not have family around. Each and every small offering of help and well wishes has meant the world to me and though this isn't even the most serious injury in the world, it's no picnic either.

(Also - I would be a terrible American if I submitted this post without mentioning that Thanksgiving was yesterday... Happy Thanksgiving everyone!)

With that, Shabbat Shalom ya'll!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad everyone kept showing their good although navigating the health care in Israel as an English speaking American was a mess. Keep resting as you deserve it. I know I'm late but let me know if you have any questions (because I just finished finals ). Shabbat shalom and I'm excited to see what Hannukah will be like for ya.

    ReplyDelete